The Main Thing in Chess?!

This is where all serious chess talk should take place.

Moderator: Admins

The Main Thing in Chess?!

Postby inokione » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:43 am

So ,finally i reached to visit this forum,hard 2 see there arent really much chessquestiones.Well,here is my first try;-)
Anybody out there who also got bored by always same tips how 2 improve? play this variation or that? well,i only got one question,whats the main thing in chess?
Thx 4 u replies see u on board:-)
inokione

Postby ZeroFK » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:51 am

I can't say much about playing at master level, but I think for intermediate players to get better, the most important thing is recognizing patterns. Not just mating patterns, but all kinds of patterns that can give both a tactical or a strategical advantage.
IMO this recognition of patterns can only come through experience.
Stupidity is not a Virtue
ZeroFK

Re: The Main Thing in Chess?! Part2

Postby inokione » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:07 am

Well,wonderful 2 see that there are alive people out there and i got an answer.:-)recognizing pattern sounds interresting.2be true,my thoughts were totally different,i was thinking about "pure" chess elements,in Laskers words "Elelements of Fight, universal Prinzips were Powers are in Touch.
I have 2 think about some Words of Gm John Nunn,what he loves about chess,his answer was,he loves it cause there are so many people who play it for so many different reasons.Thats a bit what i think,there are lot different ways to think and play chess.
So,perhaps i have 2 change this question,i dont mean whats the main thing to play succesful chess,i mean,whats the main element in chess.Yes ,perhaps now the question is better;-)
here are my 2 ,the main thing in chess is,
Power (the Pieces and there influence)
Mobility

and yes perhaps the rules who fix everything?!
hm
have a good time have 2 think about u answer thx;-)
inokione

Postby chawley » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:38 am

"I can't say much about playing at master level, but I think for intermediate players to get better, the most important thing is recognizing patterns."

Hmmm yes but so is understanding chess imbalances how to create them
and exploit them in your opponents position.

Planning if you have no plan then your simply drifting and heading towards
checkmate mind you having too many plans is not a good thing either
like some players start with a plan then they switch to another plan without any idea of what there trying to do or what is the
overall goal and there position falls apart.

Discipline careful handling of the pawns not moving too many without
a reason very important!

Patience if your opponent is being irrational and moves too quickly
that doesn't mean you have to lash out in kind. If his moves are
superficial then you pluck him apart like a chicken take away his
good squares, win material all with military discipline never out
of anger or emotion.
chawley

Postby ZeroFK » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:23 pm

chawley wrote:Patience if your opponent is being irrational and moves too quickly that doesn't mean you have to lash out in kind.

This is very true. Particularly when playing against a computer, I often feel the urge to move quickly just because the computer moves fast as well - and consequently I lose. It is not always easy to break this pattern.
Stupidity is not a Virtue
ZeroFK

Postby therealwizardrip » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:37 pm

I realize this topic has not been touched for quite some time but as were a good friend to me inokione I decided to place my response in hopes you may one day see it though it is unlikely for me to ever return here.

I have not played chess since I quit icc fics wcs c.net and everywhere else over 2 and a half years ago now so I have forgotten most everything. What I have retained however is what I like to call the 'chess thinking pattern'

As a child I always excelled at patterns in preschool so the teacher took me to a grandmaster and asked him to train me. After seeing how well I adapted to patterns he agreed and I learned chess at the ripe age of 2 and half. From that point on I always viewed chess as a game of patterns but this thought has transcended over time what it means to me.

When I used to actively play chess at my piss poor level online and over the board (at clubs and tournaments) I used to view the patterns as this:
Opening
-Development of safety
-King Safety
-Control of the center
Middle Game
-Space vs material
End Game
-memorized end games patterns are a thing of their own relative to the situations and reoccuring themes of forks tempos and other such gains.

Beyond that once I finished playing I began trying to understand and learn things I had never seen before in my life. I began applying chess theory to totally unrelated subjects.

I would see something and say it towards the end game because the course (opening) has been chosen and followed through the thickness of the bushes (middlegame) to the cleary light at the end of the tunnel (endgame). Win or lose in your chosen path you have learned to play the game which results in further growth for next time which is the idea I always feel chess has tried to expand people over it's years.

Chess is not just a game or a thought pattern it is a way of life. While I have long since given up ever playing this game I occassion these forums to see faces like yours, inokione, that I can remember with a smile. Because I have chosen chess as my way of life.

My real life training partner said to me when I gave up chess over 2 years ago that I would come back to it in my old age. I told him a year ago that I'd never come back but it would never stop influencing me.

Many people remember me online as only a wild5 player because I most easily saw patterns in wild 5 as that was my specialty in all things - openings.
therealwizardrip

Postby bighairyfeet » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:02 pm

Hello to everybody on this site.. its nice to see some sort of decorum on a site relating to chess. Compared to what goes on when playing chess in Yahoo. but thats anothers days natter.

The most important thing for me while playing chess is I feel my character and personality come out in my play. Subtle aggression and being patient aswell as not being afraid to sacrifice and experiment even though it might cost you the game would be my traits in life and in play.

Good question..
bighairyfeet

Postby Masa76 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:44 am

Main thing in chess for me is that I have so much to learn :)

There are hardly two similar games even if I played same opponent for 20+ times ,so thats really what keeps it so interesting and fresh game.

Also chess is a great way to get to communicate with different people.
Masa76

Re: The Main Thing in Chess?!

Postby Skywalker » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:55 am

Hi everyone, this is Luke, new entry. I love chess but always play alone against the PC. I am purchasing the software so that I can play at night from home. This chat is way complicated but I`ll learn.
The most important thing in chess? well a Russian guy said:"The King!"
See ya later, L.[/code]
Skywalker

Postby tarantula8791 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:39 am

The main thing in chess is a die hard love for chess. Try to understand it and it will make you learn a lot about yourself, your opponents and life itself. Of course chess itself is, in the words of GM V. Anand (and god knows how many before), "unfathomable".
tarantula8791

Return to Chess Talk