Speed chess on the Internet

This is where all serious chess talk should take place.

Moderator: Admins

How important is Chess in your life?

1.not important
27%
2.quite important
18%
3.important
27%
4.very important
18%
5.extremely important
9%

Total votes : 22

Speed chess on the Internet

Postby bighairyfeet » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:48 pm

Hi folks.. I play the Kings Gambit (when able to) when playing White. When playing Black I play D6, then E6.. I usually play 5 minutes each.
My current rating in Yahoo is 1543.. I love it. I would play all day and nite especially if I'm playing well...
Anyone on this site play on Yahoo and what do they think of it??? :shock: [/b]
bighairyfeet

Postby Aykay » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:29 pm

I don't care for yahoo...there is a high concentration of engines there.
Aykay

Hello

Postby Fatto » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:27 pm

Hi, I really don't play in other sites but chess.net. I have nothing against Yahoo, but don't feel confortable playing there because many players use engines to play for them.
Fatto

Postby bighairyfeet » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:57 am

when you say engines.. are you talking about people using computer programmes to play and if so, could they not use engines in other sites to play? i am unfamiliar with the "engine" term!! :?: :?:
bighairyfeet

Postby ZeroFK » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:49 am

An engine - in this context - is a computer program that plays chess (for example chessmaster, fritz, ...) All real ICS (Internet Chess Server) have a strict policy about these engines: you can use them if and only if you have permission from the admins, and it is clear that you are using an engine. At chess.net this is done by the (C) tag after your name. The ICS will sanction anyone who uses an engine without first getting permission.
That being said, Yahoo is not an ICS - it is just an internet company that happens to provide a place to play chess. As far as I know they don't sanction against the use of engines. Yahoo chess is infamous for the amount of people who use an engine to inflate their rating, as well as people who cheat in other ways.
Stupidity is not a Virtue
ZeroFK

Postby bighairyfeet » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:43 pm

I don't have an engine or use one. Thats why i asked the question.. maybe you should use an engine to help you read posts...!
bighairyfeet

Postby ZeroFK » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:31 am

I have re-read my post and I don't see anything that even remotely implies you use an engine. You asked what an engine was, I replied. Nothing more.
Stupidity is not a Virtue
ZeroFK

Postby bighairyfeet » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:08 am

you said I certainly use an engine in your 2nd paragraph
(you can use them if and only if you have permission from the admins, and it is clear that you are using an engine)
so whats that all about
bighairyfeet

Postby blue-eyes » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:14 am

"you can use them if and only if you have permission from the admins, and it is clear that you are using an engine"

Clarification:
It means that **IF** you want to use an engine on chess.net...
Then, you must first have permission from the proper admins to use an engine. Once approved, you need to make it clear in the notes section of the approved (C) account, that it is in fact an engine.

Hope that helps clear things up :)
~blue-eyes~
blue-eyes

Postby bighairyfeet » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:32 am

Cheers Blue eyes....
playing the Hippo Openibg at the moment for black.. its a good opening when playing bliTZ
bighairyfeet

Postby Gogul » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:02 pm

I registered with a betting website once to play chess and put $10 in it. I swear the guy was using a computer! But I don't think these big gambling sites know much about chess to stop it. :cry:
Gogul

Postby Vangilder » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:05 pm

How can the site/admins tell if one is using a engine?

I play Yahoo everyday, but I can't tell if they are using engines or not..Can only admins determine this?
Vangilder

Sloppy

Postby wire3602 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:13 pm

It is definatly a good try but i mean come on, it strikes me as being rather a bit sloppy and unprofessional, perhaps a few more hours working at it might help.
wire3602

Re: Speed chess on the Internet

Postby Redfrerne » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:20 am

Hi all! I like playing 1 0 or 0 1. I have played in others servers. My (lightning) rating in Educared (Spanish server) is 2700. But I prefer chess.net. Many people insult you when they win, or lose. There are a lot of users, but, in my opinion I prefer few people but polite. This is the problem, when you enjoy playing chess, other people only to know bother you. :cry:

Also, I have played in FICS, ICC, Ajedrez21...

I play stonewall when playing black... and when playing white, hehe.

:P
Redfrerne

Re: Speed chess on the Internet

Postby dida » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:06 pm

[quote="bighairyfeet"]Hi folks.. I play the Kings Gambit (when able to) when playing White. When playing Black I play D6, then E6.. I usually play 5 minutes each.
My current rating in Yahoo is 1543.. I love it. I would play all day and nite especially if I'm playing well...
Anyone on this site play on Yahoo and what do they think of it??? :shock: [/b][/quote]
dida

Return to Chess Talk